====[ EDUCATIVE INTRO ]====
At a time when making books was a very time-consuming and labor-intensive process, an increasingly literate 12th-century Europe required more and more books. To keep up with the increasing demand for the spread of literature was a ongoing struggle. Writing materials such as inks, dyes and parchment were very expensive. And it wasn't until the 15th century, when parchment was largely replaced by paper, along with the arrival of the printing press, for it to gradually became cheaper, faster and less labor-intensive.
So it made perfect sense to find other ways to help with this process.
Simplifying a script and cutting back on the decorative calligraphy was the most effective way of doing this.
This led to the development of simplified variations to pre-existing bookhand scripts. One of such forms is littera textualis, categorizing within the Textualis/Textura or simply Gothic bookhand scripts group.
Littera textualis is the simplest and least calligraphic form of textualis. It was developed with just two main goals in mind, to save time and costs. The simplified letterforms could be written much quicker than the more calligraphic and luxurious variations. It offered a more cost effective and faster version to the script. It was often used for less important literary works and academic papers.
It functioned as the standard bookhand script in the Netherlands during the 14th & 15th centuries.
====[ ABOUT THIS FONT ]====
TEXTUALIS BATAVICUM - A calligraphic inspired Blackletter/Gothic bookhand script. Essentially a Textualis/Textura inspired work.
The design mainly follows the concept for a traditional form of littera textualis bookhand script as was described in the intro written above.
It remains a work in progress and I will add update info for this font in the comment section bellow.
Some character still need slight adjustments, but so far I am very pleased with the result. As you can probably notice, the uppercase characters have slight more weight than the lowercase has.
More characters follow soon.
I hope y'all like it
I love the traditional French biscuits made on the French west coast where Loire meets Atlantic.
The biscuits are thin, crunchy, light, not too large, not very sweet, melt on the tongue, and biscuits very like the original can be made/baked quite easily.
The traditional version has a limited range of letters, enough to write the name of town, manufacturer and product. I've been unsuccessful in finding an image of the font which contributed just a few letters to decorate these biscuits.
I spent some time looking at other type of the Victorian/Art Nouveau era until I had collected enough information to help me design the missing letters. I added the French diacritics, naturally. I think my additions look successful and the whole font looks quite Art Neauveau and in the style used originally.
The square brackets [ and ] make a biscuit shape when used 'blank'.
Bon appetit, enjoy your "Biscuit de l'Ouest".This is a clone of Petit Biscuit
This is a really conservative design, reminiscent of the early days here at FS when all the features didn't exist. Yet they are well hidden here. In smaller font sizes, db Katalog looks really balanced… but scale it up and it soon doesn't look so round anymore. Maybe that's what makes it so. Perfectly imperfect.
In any case, I am open to any suggestions for improvement.
Version 1.3: Added Polish.
Another asymmetrical sans-serif made for use in rulebooks for the Freeform Limitless Adventure Kit (FLAK) pen-and-paper game system. This one is classed as a hybrid and works well at all point sizes!
It began as a Constant Height design, but now I don't classify it as such since most of the letters with diacritics are taller than those without. A few letters (eszett, thorn, eta, etc.) are allowed to descend slightly, as well.
This font has also found some use on signage at a friend's bistro!
A display typeface (probably best viewed small, I'm aware!) based upon some physical type I made from dark food colouring etched into sugar syrup. This was to represent the brief theme I picked of 'unstable', hence why all the characters are completely induvidual in size and shape. I have also published a second version which displays what happens when the food colouring bled into the sugar syrup.