Blackletter, as small as possible, as elegant as possible.
Fun fact: The name Minotur came from the shortening of "minimal textur".
Inspired by trying to thread heddles on a 4-shafter .........
The design uses a lot of nudging, a little stacking and composites, using some of the exciting extended capabilities of the FontStructor.
The font's name is Maori and means "weaving".
This font is as finished as I need to have it at the moment. I'll add a few more glyphs later.
the study of crop (or cropt) circles :) some of these appear in ornaments. when i did that one, i felt many of the designs reminded me of crop circles. so i added a few more :) i've done a couple of other crop circle fonts. but it kind of seems natural to make crop circles out of circles (dots), doesn't it? i have also tried to show the progression of similar designs by trying to keep/group them together, but there are some strays here and there :)
My final entry in the competition. Inspired by Mazey, zlabyrinths eYe/FS, and wavelength. Each glyph has its own maze, and each maze connects with the next. Tilde ~ and low line _ connect words, grave ` closes beginnings and ends, and the left and right arrows < > are for the start and end. There are also some alternates in Extended Latin A. Suggestions and critiques are welcome. Thanks!
04/06/14 The whole font has been updated to be one brick taller, and thus properly fit onto a grid. Also, some characters have been redesigned. V2.0
05/13/14 All punctuation has been modified to continue a word maze. V2.1
07/05/14 1000 downloads! Hooray! As a 'thank you', I've completed more of More Latin. V2.2
08/22/14 I've made the accents part of the maze. I've also changed a few characters, and added Œ and œ. V2.3
08/04/15 Added Polish support with Ą, Ć, Ę, Ł, Ń, Ś, Ź, and Ż. Tweaked a few characters as well, and added a crossbar to the ð. V2.4
06/18/16 Added support for multiple languages with more Cyrillic chars and punctuation. Also tweaked a few chars.
Study with Segment Displays. (My own conception/designe)
Objective: To have less than 16 segments (16 bits = 2 bytes of data).
Only capital letters!
Some More Latin Symbols added.
See alternative letters and numbers in Latin Extended B.
Cyrillic ( Russian, Belarusian,Ukrainian,Bulgarian) [approximate]
----------> view И/Й/ - E/Ë - У/Ў - I/Ï - Э/Є/E/З - Г/Ґ
Apparently, it is quite easy to forget what gets a fontstruction going. Something about ultra condensed bla bla bla. The rest is just a matter of having a creative activity to occupy the mind. And if in the process you can help out a friend, all the better.
I started this typeface out with the letter 'a', and from there slowly build up the other glyphs and came to realise it looks like a festive type. It's most likely due to the terminals being very angular and sharp, and that thought strengthens ever more so after I tried using it in Adobe Illustrator.
I saw the logo for tramplin.tv [pictured below] a loooong time ago and was fascinated by it. It used to live on my computer desktop so I can look at it frequently. Even thought to redo it in fontstruct but...just looking at it, it was clear it wasn't doable...at least back then. At some point, the image was moved off to some other to-be-filed folder, and eventually I forgot about it.
I found it again the other day while hunting for some other file.
It was still fascinating. And in the meantime, fontstruct had grown up considerably (Thanks, Rob!). It was time to attempt doing it.
Well, kicked my ass, didn't it.
It seems so simple: One diagonal that goes from one letter to another in smooth transition, bisected by a different angle diagonals. No. Easy in concept, killer in making the geometry work of 2×1 diagonals to 1×4 diagonals.
No matter what thickness of diagonals were selected and whatever the gaps were left, the angles would not line up at some point or another. Which was confusing as 2 goes into 4 exactly 2 times, so things should have lined up without complication. I remembered, many years ago kix used Transparent Windows utility to make the browser transparent so he could trace silhouetted figures for one of his brilliant fs. Even tried tracing. Nope. After many failed attempts, had to break out Illustrator to better visualize the grid and diagonal guides of my own.
[See picture below]
Figuring out the geometry was much simpler in Ai. Found out where I was going wrong. First attempt at doing a and m and making them line up worked like a charm. From then on, it was just a matter of doing the glyphs. Some of them were simple to execute; others like e and c and especially z were quite difficult...at least for my limited intelligence.
Anyway, here it is.
Disclaimer: The original logo is probably copyrighted to someone. I don't own the rights to it. It is displayed here for comparision purposes and for full disclosure. If the owners of the original logo have a objection for its display here, it will be removed immediately.