KYOOOOB! The font CANNOT BE HALTED.
When I was in school, there were two things everyone was drawing: the "Cool S" and the 3D Cube.
Welcome to Orwellian Barcode Prison, antithesis of Chicken Wire. The only thing to do here is squint.
An evil electromagnetic zigzag tape reel. Looks almost embossed, as if the letters were "pressed" into the waves somehow. In that way it reminds me of old hand-operated label makers. It also makes me think of electricity, TV static, ocean waves, tire tracks, fractured glass, and more depending on font size and color.
The name is inspired by an attack from a notorious NES game, "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde".
This was once a shy, lineal design... then it rebelled against its parents, went subtractive, and finally became futuristic knotwork. Gnarly!
Original size: 15.5pt
Just a doodle :D
Blocks are made from lines of widths 2.5, 2, 1.5, 1, and 0.5. Then the glyphs are carved out.
Zapotec-style mosaic/segmented display. :D
(Use _ for the full design.)
Pandora's Blocks is a new kind of box. A better box. A box that contains things unheard of in the world of humans, a box that dissolves problems and anxieties and casts them unto the wind, a box that turns the words you say and the thoughts you think into ambrosia. Do the right thing and don't not not de-un-open the box. There are bad things living in there.
You must repost this message on Facebook within 30 seconds. If you don't warn at least 12 people about the dangers of pixel fonts by tomorrow, your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandma will rise from the dead and raid your kitchen. She was a master Sandwichologist employed by Sir Francis Bacon himself. Repeat, DO NOT OPEN THE BOX.
A pixel font disguised as a high-resolution one. It's a pretty effective disguise thanks to the gaps between bricks.
I was making some new bricks to add to Brick Basket when the idea of a segmented display made from composites occurred to me. The result is this experimental 25-segment display.
This achieves some interesting "double line"/"folded line" effects. It also gets some pecuilar distortions at smaller sizes.
I built diamonds sized according to the Fibonacci series, then made a segmented display out of them. The design was then carved away to make the glyphs you see here. I used the members 1, 2, 3, 5, and 8. These sizes proved most feasible to work with in this sort of arrangement.
I gave the terminals a flared appearance which I think makes the glyphs look slightly Celtic. The design also makes me think of beach sand and things found on the beach - shells, pretty rocks, and so on.
Made via subtractive methods.
Experimental 12-segment display. This is my attempt at making an ultra-small segmented display suitable for printing on actual pixel art screens. As far as I know, this is the first fusion of Latin-style microfont and segmented display.
Initially I tried making this with 3px long segments, but the result looked almost exactly like Calculatrix 12. So I shrank it down to 5x5 to ensure it would take on its own look.
Of course, your pixel art style still needs to be a pretty big one for this font to work well - I recommend a display area of 82*7px or more.
See also:Pandora's Blocks
Experimental 33-segment display. While setting the spacing for Piscrypt Plain, I turned on monospacing and all the glyphs stacked up. I thought that made an interesting shape to design a segmented display on.
This has its own set of composite bricks; feel free to clone it and experiment!
Original size: 20pt
A segmented display inspired by Lorica Segmentata.
I didn't make this to convey the idea of "Space Romans", but I can see how it might be used in such a context. For that I'm envisioning something like a flip-dot display which uses these metal plates. Perhaps in the future I'll get an Arduino and some servos, then set about trying to build such a display...
An experimental 25-segment display. This one is also made to produce various optical effects at different sizes.
Experimental 37-segment display. Space pirates met crystalline aliens, their children made a segmented display, and this is it.
Now with lowercase!
5x5 pixel font with a built-in scanline effect. Because of its subtractive nature and low resolution, some glyphs are impossible to depict.
Original size: 4.5pt (use multiples of this value for pixel perfection)
Experimental 49-segment display.
In making and studying other segmented displays, I noticed they tended to have strong-looking right angled lines but weak-looking diagonals. This is my attempt to make a design where both styles of lines look more appealing and join together more solidly.
Another leap toward the elusive subtractive Boolean.
Each character consists of nine bricks arranged in a 3 x 3, filtered and scaled, composite-stack matrix. Insane levels of smooth detail result.
This filtered, subtractive stacking technique extends those first published here.
Enjoy a private clone to grok my unknown approach. The possibilities are endless...