This font was created based originally on the word 'Gregarious'. From that I researched Social Housing in the UK. These are spaces designed to house many people for as cheap as possible. I used compound blocks to create complex detailed flats that stack up as high as a tower block usually would.
A tall thin stroked Art Deco typeface experiment.
I tried to create pretty simple but ellegant geometric letterforms. It is inspired by the later 70's Art Deco Streamline period.
The character set is far from complete for now, kerning done only for a few pairs and overall balance therefor is still quite poor.
--------- UPDATE v2.0 ---------
I completed much of the basic latin with mix-caps alternative glyphs and a lot more, along the way the whole project also kind of turned into a attempt to construct very thin (1/8th grid unit) sloping strokes and asymmetric curves.
A font which evokes a feeling of roving warbands. It looks a bit Wild West, too! It started as one of those blackletter designs with diamond-shaped terminals, but then I experimented on it and now we have this.
This font relates to my original theme, ‘Messy’, which was developed based on the Brazilian slums, Favelas. In Western culture, these are viewed as ‘messy’, however in Brazilian culture they take great pride in their homes. This reflects the idea that people respond to the same theme in different ways depending on their cultural context. This font is designed to be used at large display sizes of 100pt or more as this means that the detail in each character can be clearly seen.
Here you can see my headache relating to composites for the new bricks. The 4-way link shows that our present 16 brick limit for composites is insufficient if we want precision joins. I discovered this also with the 1 and 3 linebricks. I wonder how Meek managed to create the bricks ;)
This is the 'positive' version to the 'negative design' n8 Solstice versions and shows that the boxy look seen there is softened through curves and airy lines. There is a lot of charme and elegance in the glyphs. The Q, Z and 2 gave me so many problems in the parent font, here we see why; I think I succeeded using the decorated boxes I introduced in the parent font, to create interesting slanted lines in some glyphs that can have tricky slants. This isn't for the reversecomp even though I made it after the Solstice versions white-on-black.This is a clone of n8 Solstice Wege
I had thought of making this my 2nd competition entry but while it's attractive it lacks something.
It shows all horizontal and vertical lines that weren't placed in its parent font "n8 Solstice noir". But the font itself still uses white cut-outs in a a black rectangle.
Somehow this presentation reminds me of a lino print, stencil, photographic negative.
The original font didn't disturb me, this design however kept nagging me, wanting to get out as a positive. I couldn't resist this demand and turned its clone into the usual black-on-white presentation 'Solstice Day'This is a clone