It’s time for our second competition of the year, this time on the theme of “serif”.
Our theme is the serif: “a small line attached to the end of a stroke in a letter or symbol” as wikipedia describes it – so your designs should focus on these strokes in some way or form. Serifs come in various shapes – Old-style, Didone, Slab and others. You can use any type(s) of serif you wish in your competition entries. Perhaps you could even devise a new serif form of your own.
FontStructors specialize in extravagant and experimental display fonts, so feel free to place your serifs in the foreground – they don’t have to be small as wikipedia suggests.
Competition Time Period
Wednesday, 8th November 2017 – Saturday 2nd December, 2017
- You must be a registered FontStruct user.
- Your submission(s) must be posted and made “public” between 8th November 2017 and 2nd December, 2017. Although you are encouraged to share your submission(s) at any time between these dates, your FontStruction submission(s) must be public (marked “share with everyone”) no later than 2nd December, 2017 at 11pm PST. Additionally, your submission(s) must remain public at least until 9th December 2017 in order to give the judges enough time to review all qualifying entries.
- Your submission(s) must be tagged with a “Serifcomp” tag. (For fairness, during the competition time period, no FontStruction with the “Serifcomp” tag will be awarded a Top Pick.)
- Your submission(s) must be downloadable. If your FontStruction cannot be downloaded, the submission will not be including in the judging.
- Your submission must be a newly published FontStruction. Simply adding the “Serifcomp” tag to an already published font is not allowed.
- For each submission, you must post at least one sample image in the comments of the FontStruction.
- No letters in each submission can be MORE THAN 48 grid squares high.
- FontStruct cloning is permitted but the judges will be looking for original work.
- You may enter up to three FontStructions to the competition.
- This is a friendly competition. Cheering, favoriting and fun banter is encouraged but cruel and uncivil behavior will not be tolerated.
- No rules regarding licensing. You may choose any license you like for your FontStruction.
Judging and announcing the winners
All qualifying FontStructions will by judged by the FontStruct staff and guest judges between December 2nd and December 9th. Three prizewinners will be chosen. One of these will be the FontStructors’ Favourite. Winners will be announced in a FontStruct Blog post on Monday December 11th.
Each winner can choose a t-shirt printed with a FontStruction glyph of their choice.
The valid entry with the greatest number of legitimate favourites at 11pm PST on 9th December 2017 will be one of the three prizewinners.
If you have questions just add them as comments to this post.
May the best FontStruction win.
FontStructions in header image are clockwise from the top left: db Boxer Slab by beate, Manuale Neue Bold by laynecom, one-horse town by four, zeamróg-eYe/FS by elmoyenique, Unknownim by architaraz and RM Victoriana by p2pnut.
FontStruct would like to thank our sponsor: Creative Fabrica – your number #1 source for premium design elements.