The square-grid and simple geometric shapes of the FontStruct brick-shapes are ideal for producing clean, systematic, logical designs. This competition is about getting your hands dirty, resisting the urge to be systematic, and trying to create something with a more human, perhaps imperfect, character.
All you have to do is make a FontStruction AND an accompanying sample image related to the theme “Handmade”.
Of course FontStruct is a digital tool and you can’t actually pick up the brick shapes and work them with your hands (I wish you could) so this challenge is about “Mousemade” FontStructions that somehow look “Handmade”.
For example you could create something that looks cutout, hand-drawn, sketched, scratched or scribbled. This FontList and this one from FontShop might provide some inspiration. Or maybe you can think of some other way to interpret the theme. As long as it’s relevant, feel free, and go for it.
The “handmadeness” could also just be in your sample image. If you knit, carve, fry, sculpt, paint or otherwise manipulate your FontStruction and take a photo of the result, you might be able to turn the most robotic of pixel fonts into something you can call “handmade”.
Clockwise from top-left: Punched Out by Shasta, goglus menu by goglus, basicfreak by marciamartins, Budino Kiri by Em42, FS Papier 3D by Tylo, ztracted by H eYe/FS by elmoyenique, Mosaic4way by fuzzyjay
You’ve got three weeks this time. Please read the rules below carefully before you start, especially the restriction on letter height (maximum 32 bricks high).
By popular request: this time around you can help choose one of the prizewinners. The valid entry with the greatest number of favorites at 11pm PST on October 15th will be one of the three prizewinners.
Spread the Word
Tell your friends. The button floating above every FontStruction is a really quick and easy way to point your friends and followers to your work. Maybe you can drum up some more s for your entry in that way, or entice some novice FontStructors into the game.
First prize is a copy of the coveted FontBook by FontShop International.
The FontBook is the most complete digital type reference in the world. Since 1991, “the big yellow book” has been the trusted friend of designers, typographers, advertisers, manufacturers, publishers, historians, and anyone else who uses type.
Two runners-up will win t-shirts from the FontStruct Shop.
In addition, all winners will have their winning FontStructions posted as Featured FontStructions for two weeks starting October 18th.
Competition time period
September 17th – October 8th 2010
You must be a registered FontStruct user.
1. Your submission(s) must be posted and made “public” between September 17th – October 8th 2010. Although you are encouraged to share your submission(s) at any time between these dates, your FontStruction submission(s) must be public (marked “share with everyone”) no later then October 8th at 11pm PST. Additionally, your submission(s) must remain public until October 15th in order to give the judges enough time to review all qualifying entries.
2. Your submission(s) must be tagged with a “HandmadeComp” tag. (For fairness, during the competition time period, September 17th – October 8th, no FontStruction with the “HandmadeComp” tag will be awarded a Top Pick or be available for a Featured FontStruction pick.)
3. Your submission(s) must be downloadable. If your FontStruction breaks the FontMortar, the submission will be disqualified.
4. Your submission must be a newly published FontStruction. Simply adding the “HandmadeComp” tag to an already published font is strictly prohibited.
5. For each submission, you must post at least one sample image in the comments of the FontStruction.
6. All letters in each submission must be LESS THAN 33 bricks high.
7. FontStruct cloning is permitted but the judges will be looking for original work.
8. You may enter up to three FontStructions to the competition.
9. This is a friendly competition. Cheering, favoriting and fun banter is encouraged but cruel and uncivil behavior will not be tolerated.
10. No rules regarding licensing. You may choose any Creative Commons license you like for your FontStruction.
All qualifying FontStructions will by judged by the FontStruct staff between the October 9th to October 15th. Three prizewinners (One winner and two runners-ups) will be chosen. One of these will be the FontStructors’ Favorite.
Winners will be announced in a FontStruct Blog post on October 18th.
If you have questions just add them as comments to this post.
Put on your apron, roll up your sleeves, FontStruct!