Advertisements

Brick by brick: News about FontStruct

New Feature: Export to Glyphs

News | | September 30th, 2013

FontStruct is a wonderful free tool for creating usable, modular typefaces. Sometimes however you may find yourself reaching its limits. If you want control over kerning, vertical metrics, OpenType features or cubic béziers you need to reach for an additional tool. Until now there was just one way to do this: You download your FontStruction as a TrueType font and then edit that font in the desktop font editor of your choice.

This week we’re introducing a great new option for Mac users in partnership with the guys from Glyphs.app.

With the new “Export to Glyphs” feature you can download or export your designs in the .glyphs format used by the Glyphs desktop font editor. One significant advantage over editing a TrueType is that the individual bricks are included in the file and can be edited with complete freedom. You also get cubic béziers (rounder circles!) and access to all the advanced editing features that Glyphs has to offer.

You can choose to download your font files as .glyphs files from the download page, or use the new Export -> “Glyphs” file option from the menu in the FontStructor.

If you’re a Mac user and would like to give Glyphs.app a try,  you can download a free 30-day trial from glyphsapp.com. To get an idea on how to work with Glyphs, see their “Getting Started” page, and take a look at the short tutorial videos. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in the “Glyphs forum”.

fontstruct-in-glyphs

The above image shows a clone of “zapphire eYe/FS” by “elmoyenique” being edited in Glyphs.

Below you can see the individual bricks waiting, all ready to be tweaked, swapped out and generally transmogrified.

fontstruct-in-glyphs2

16 Comments

1. architaraz

Just noticed this. Congratulations! It’s just sad that Glyphs will never be available for Windows users…

Comment by architaraz — October 1, 2013 #

2. Rob Meek (meek)

@architaraz You could ask the Glyphs people about that. I know they’d like to make a Windows version, but it’s a big job and they need to find some Windows expertise. Letting them know that you’d be interested in a Windows version would remind them that the demand is there.

Comment by Rob Meek (meek) — October 1, 2013 #

3. elmoyenique

@meek: Thank you very much for use my font in the samples. I knew of Glyphs.app before, but I’m gonna try it again with this new feature.

Comment by elmoyenique — October 1, 2013 #

4. ETHproductions

Very nice! A Windows version of Glyphs would be awesome.

There is one problem: since yesterday, downloading the regular TrueType font file inside the Fontstructor has resulted in a bad .zip. I haven’t tried with the Glyphs feature, because I don’t have a Mac, but downloading outside the Fontstructor still works.

Comment by ETHproductions — October 1, 2013 #

5. Icelar

Wow, this is such an amazing thing… I’m a windows user, but this is definitely a big step!

Comment by Icelar — October 1, 2013 #

6. j4s13

Something’s wrong with the downloads. It takes over 5 min to download.

Comment by j4s13 — October 1, 2013 #

7. Rob Meek (meek)

@j4s13 What does?

Comment by Rob Meek (meek) — October 1, 2013 #

8. j4s13

@meek Download and export.

Comment by j4s13 — October 1, 2013 #

9. Rob Meek (meek)

@j4s13 I can’t see an issue at the moment. If you continue to have problems, please contact support telling them which FontStruction you are trying to download and which browser your using. Thanks!

Comment by Rob Meek (meek) — October 1, 2013 #

10. Rob Meek (meek)

@ETHProductions thanks for pointing out the problem with downloads from the FontStructor. Working on that now …

Comment by Rob Meek (meek) — October 2, 2013 #

11. Rob Meek (meek)

The issue with downloads from the FontStructor is fixed.

Comment by Rob Meek (meek) — October 2, 2013 #

12. ETHproductions

It’s better now. Thanks!

Comment by ETHproductions — October 2, 2013 #

13. jimhv

I’m still running a first-generation Mac mini with Snow Leopard. The latest trial version of Glyphs didn’t seem to be usable on my computer, and the older version (for PowerPC Macs) doesn’t seem able to open *.glyphs files, such as those exported from FontStruct. I can view *.ttf files in Glyphs, though.

Comment by jimhv — October 2, 2013 #

14. minidonut

Very nice… if I had a Mac. yep, that sucks.

Comment by minidonut — October 3, 2013 #

15. Rob Meek (meek)

@jimhv I’ve got one of those old Mac minis too. I think you may be out of luck. The export feature was built for the current, latest version of Glyphs.

Comment by Rob Meek (meek) — October 4, 2013 #

16. will.i.ૐ

A truly ground-breaking revelation. Unlimited brick customization is now possible. It took me a couple weeks to pick my jaw up off the ground from this modestly announced earth-shaker. This partnership and development satisfies such an impressive swath of feature requests – I’m simply stunned. All fontstructor looking to elevate their work to a professional level would well served by upgrading to this combo. Congratulations, Rob! What a brilliant collaboration. May working with the Glyphs folks lead to even more auspicious and mind-blowing developments in the future!

Comment by will.i.ૐ — October 30, 2013 #