Published: 4th November, 2013
Last edited: 8th December, 2013
Created: 24th October, 2013
Idea: Shoe lace
... was set a task to research, develop and make a font/typeface design using one of the themes in a list given to us. My first two attempts was looking at the most obvious idea of bubble writing just to get a feel of fontstruct where it occurred to me that I practically chose one of the most hardest themes to do on fonstruct. other attempts were made in sketch books to see how much could push my thought process on one particular theme. The idea then struck me whilst on a break and looking down at my shoes after dropping an item.
Process: took one shoe lace/string and arranged into letters.
then took pictures and use them as reference points for each and every letter.
because I had trouble recreating the actual picture on fontstruct I decided to step back and approach it differently. this is when I got the idea that instead of just making the string as it is, i'll just make the font thicker and put in some pattern like detail such as weaved fabric and recreate that.
I went back to the sketchbook and looked at the letters and decided to just do it with one string shaped as the letters