Blackletter, as small as possible, as elegant as possible.
Fun fact: The name Minotur came from the shortening of "minimal textur".
Inspired by trying to thread heddles on a 4-shafter .........
The design uses a lot of nudging, a little stacking and composites, using some of the exciting extended capabilities of the FontStructor.
The font's name is Maori and means "weaving".
This font is as finished as I need to have it at the moment. I'll add a few more glyphs later.
the study of crop (or cropt) circles :) some of these appear in ornaments. when i did that one, i felt many of the designs reminded me of crop circles. so i added a few more :) i've done a couple of other crop circle fonts. but it kind of seems natural to make crop circles out of circles (dots), doesn't it? i have also tried to show the progression of similar designs by trying to keep/group them together, but there are some strays here and there :)
My final entry in the competition. Inspired by Mazey, zlabyrinths eYe/FS, and wavelength. Each glyph has its own maze, and each maze connects with the next. Tilde ~ and low line _ connect words, grave ` closes beginnings and ends, and the left and right arrows < > are for the start and end. There are also some alternates in Extended Latin A. Suggestions and critiques are welcome. Thanks!
04/06/14 The whole font has been updated to be one brick taller, and thus properly fit onto a grid. Also, some characters have been redesigned. V2.0
05/13/14 All punctuation has been modified to continue a word maze. V2.1
07/05/14 1000 downloads! Hooray! As a 'thank you', I've completed more of More Latin. V2.2
08/22/14 I've made the accents part of the maze. I've also changed a few characters, and added Œ and œ. V2.3
08/04/15 Added Polish support with Ą, Ć, Ę, Ł, Ń, Ś, Ź, and Ż. Tweaked a few characters as well, and added a crossbar to the ð. V2.4
06/18/16 Added support for multiple languages with more Cyrillic chars and punctuation. Also tweaked a few chars.
What began as a half-resolution pixel sketch then acquired a row and column of space between each respective row and column of pixels. In this way I manually doubled the grid, refining glyphs and adjusting their widths as I filled in the 75% undefined pixels that grid-doubling produces. Uppercase was my next addition, then revision, revision, revision.
Visualizing curves, contrast, bias, and stem thickness with whole pixels as the unit of increment turns out to be a very interesting game. I suspect I have just enough resolution to achieve the level of fidelity in the curves I was going for. Composites will allow for more subtle refinements while smoothing out most of the diagonal lines used (with the exception of the current N and X).
Enjoy!This is a clone
Out of 111 bricks used, only ten are from existing bricks; all the rest are custom bricks. There would have been a lot more bricks if most weren't rotated or flipped.
3 bricks tall.
Apparently, it is quite easy to forget what gets a fontstruction going. Something about ultra condensed bla bla bla. The rest is just a matter of having a creative activity to occupy the mind. And if in the process you can help out a friend, all the better.