Apparently, it is quite easy to forget what gets a fontstruction going. Something about ultra condensed bla bla bla. The rest is just a matter of having a creative activity to occupy the mind. And if in the process you can help out a friend, all the better.
This is [was] a minimum [http://fontstruct.com/fontstructors/minimum/public] font, created December, last year. Unfortunately, minimum account has developed some problems that prevents normal usage such as editing descriptions, downloading fonts, commenting, etc. Nevermind. He was useless anyway. :-)
Also, I can't seem to figure out how to create links either. This must be my dumb year.
I love the traditional French biscuits made on the French west coast where Loire meets Atlantic.
The biscuits are thin, crunchy, light, not too large, not very sweet, melt on the tongue, and biscuits very like the original can be made/baked quite easily.
The traditional version has a limited range of letters, enough to write the name of town, manufacturer and product. I've been unsuccessful in finding an image of the font which contributed just a few letters to decorate these biscuits.
I spent some time looking at other type of the Victorian/Art Nouveau era until I had collected enough information to help me design the missing letters. I added the French diacritics, naturally. I think my additions look successful and the whole font looks quite Art Neauveau and in the style used originally.
The square brackets [ and ] make a biscuit shape when used 'blank'.
Bon appetit, enjoy your "Biscuit de l'Ouest".This is a clone of Petit Biscuit
I saw the logo for tramplin.tv [pictured below] a loooong time ago and was fascinated by it. It used to live on my computer desktop so I can look at it frequently. Even thought to redo it in fontstruct but...just looking at it, it was clear it wasn't doable...at least back then. At some point, the image was moved off to some other to-be-filed folder, and eventually I forgot about it.
I found it again the other day while hunting for some other file.
It was still fascinating. And in the meantime, fontstruct had grown up considerably (Thanks, Rob!). It was time to attempt doing it.
Well, kicked my ass, didn't it.
It seems so simple: One diagonal that goes from one letter to another in smooth transition, bisected by a different angle diagonals. No. Easy in concept, killer in making the geometry work of 2×1 diagonals to 1×4 diagonals.
No matter what thickness of diagonals were selected and whatever the gaps were left, the angles would not line up at some point or another. Which was confusing as 2 goes into 4 exactly 2 times, so things should have lined up without complication. I remembered, many years ago kix used Transparent Windows utility to make the browser transparent so he could trace silhouetted figures for one of his brilliant fs. Even tried tracing. Nope. After many failed attempts, had to break out Illustrator to better visualize the grid and diagonal guides of my own.
[See picture below]
Figuring out the geometry was much simpler in Ai. Found out where I was going wrong. First attempt at doing a and m and making them line up worked like a charm. From then on, it was just a matter of doing the glyphs. Some of them were simple to execute; others like e and c and especially z were quite difficult...at least for my limited intelligence.
Anyway, here it is.
Disclaimer: The original logo is probably copyrighted to someone. I don't own the rights to it. It is displayed here for comparision purposes and for full disclosure. If the owners of the original logo have a objection for its display here, it will be removed immediately.
I was thinking of something else and the thought "go forth and multiply" came to mind.
The word forth brought to mind 4th, with the 4 fully formed as seen here. So it had to be done. In the process, I've made the personal best smoothest fake circle yet on fontstruct, backed by a pixel-by-pixel matching of a real approximated circle in Ai.