Ahh sadly due to repeatedly running into a corrupted font when I save newly made changes to it, it eventually catched up with me and tested the limit of my patience.
I have had to painstakingly restore the font 5 times already since I started it.
So I stopped including new characters as well as making new changes to its existing character set. (At least for now)
Too bad because I wouldve loved to see this truly getting finalized.
So at this stage there are still a number of characters that remain in rough condition, and had yet to be further optimized.
The main A-Z alphabet luckily already was close to how I invisioned it, but especially the numerals, symbols and accents still have some rough edges.
Now, forgetting all that, I still think it is not a bad font at all. Everything is there for most common Western-European languages, somewhat still making this a usable font that I shouldn't be keeping in private!
I hope that despite my bad luck this time, y'all still like it.
About this Font:
The idea was to make a classic Didone style display serif that is meant for making clean headline text similar to those often seen in older magazines or newspapers. I set out trying to design a semi-bold & slight expanded looking letterform with thin hairline serifs and strokes. I choose a large grid scale for the extra freedom in custom shaping this provides.
Technique I used in this design:
This font in particular I have experimented with working within a "(asymmetrical-) Grid Scale ratio" ( 1,5:1 ), so, changing only the value for the Horizontal grid scale. (This distorts the grid aspect ratio, and is a great way to discover and experiment with getting new forms and shapes).
The 1,5 : 1 ratio was specifically choosen to keep maths simple, in order to rebuild certain required bricks that build specific slope angles , such as a 45° (which is no longer possible to make from the FS default brick set when using asymmetric scale ratios, unless making composites).
But what this also does is opening up a totally new approach to making shapes, and..becoming quite a surprisingly easy shortcut to get unusual shapes or make variations on these, even with as little as just the rotation of the bricks/selection. (thanks to the distorted aspect ratio) :-).
This is a must try for those who are into large grid designs, fake curves or interrested in experimenting around a little.
G1 Radia. A scaled down version of an originally larger fontstruction. Lots of details with smooth micro bullnose serifs, high contrast stroke lines, and decorative ball terminals.This is a clone
G1 Valora. Extreme serif titling caps. Maxing out 48 brick height for Serifcomp. Not enough room for lowercase. Not enough time for more characters.This is a clone
elza: serif meets ball terminal... I found out the Germans actually have a word for this: 'Tropfenserife', which roughly translates as 'teardrop-serif'. Normally appearing at the end of strokes in letters such as a,c,f,g,j and r, I have tried to build this font around it, using it as its main design feature.
Again, I'm publishing this although it is not finished yet. Seems to become a habit ;-) Anyway, the name of this font is the German word for temporal paradox and this should illustrate the fact that I started this typeface as a Times alternative. As you can see, however, it took a very different direction.
I will add more glyphs in the course of time.
I wanted to create a light serif typeface that is clear and readable and at the same time sort of elegant. Don't know whether I did all this, really...