Wizardly font in 8x8. Still pretty rough...
Original size: 6pt (use multiples of this value for pixel perfection)
8x8 pixel art generator. It can be used to draw at any size once you understand how it works. Feel free to write your own scripts/code to automatically draw with this!
Glyphs are mapped to pixels as follows:
ABCDEFGH will make a horizontal line at the bottom edge, HPXfnv3. would make a vertical line on the right edge, and so on.
- INSTRUCTIONS -
Type to draw! See the sample for an example of how I do it.
1 space = 1px of spacing. Use 8 spaces to start a new block and 16 spaces to start a second block which is 8px away from the first. This fine space exists to allow any sort of pixel art to be drawn within an infinitely large "canvas".
- COMING SOON -
A guide to preparing any text for PixelGen 8x8 (I'm figuring this out now!)
If you draw something with this font, feel free to show it off in a comment. This is an unusual way to draw, but it has many unforeseen potential uses!
One form of beauty in this type of art is that your code IS the art. And, the code and art are yours to recreate and modify endlessly as you desire, all without ever having to draw, save/load files, or even touch an image editor.
- PREDRAWN ART -
(To see them, copy them, scroll up and use View -> "User Input" -> Ctrl+V)
1. 8x8 Black Square: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789,.
2. 16x16 Black Square: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789,. ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789,.
3. 8x8 Circle: CDEFJOQXYfgnovx26789
4. 8x8 Square Border: ABCDEFGHIPQXYfgnovw3456789,.
5. 8x8 Chessboard: ACEGJLNPQSUWZbdfgikmprtvwy02579.
6. 8x8 Sword: ABEIJKLMRSTZacghjlsu13,.
7. 8x8 Smiley Face: CDEFJOQSTUXYdfgiknoqsvx26789
8. 8x8 Rosary: DLSTUbehiklnovw356789,
9. 8x8 Cartoon Bomb: BCDEFGIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnpqrstuz089,
10. 8x8 Microscope: ABCDEFGHLMRSTUVWYZaghkostwz015678
11. 8x8 Bomberman: BCFGKNQSTUVXZabcdegilnoqtvw356789,
12. 8x8 Slime: BCDEFGIJKLMNOPQRWXYZabcdefghjkmnprsuyz0178
13. 8x8 Double Stars: EGMNOTUVWXdhjpqrwxyz06
14. 8x8 Brick Wall: ABCDEFGHIMQRSTUVWXaeghijklmnoswxyz01236,
15. 8x8 Floppy Disk: BCDEFGIKLMNPQSTUVXYfgijknoqsvwy0256789
For this font I decided to do several things I almost never do with other pixel fonts.
First is the use of an 8*8 grid. I consider this size tough to work with so I tend to stay away from it, preferring X*7 or X*9.
Second is the rounding or softening of all 90° angles. 3- and 4- way intersections are exempt from this rule. However, some other acute angles were rounded as well.
Third is kerning, which helps ease this font back into microfont territory a bit by reducing excess space. I usually design pixel fonts so they don't need this, but not this time!
Fourth is the embrace of asymmetry throughout most letterforms, which is almost a natural consequence of making a font on the 8*8 grid.
Fifth is extending MmWw. I usually try to truncate these letters to fit my grid. Sometimes I make a symmetrical design for them, but this time I just let 'em sprawl.
Official font of AMFA (formerly ATMA), the main rival of MARENGI Omnisystems in Endless Sea Of Stars. Appears throughout my games (especially those using the ESOS and ESOS-Lite engines) and is used as the main font of ESOS Terminal A (the one doing the super-long survey).
Between 2012 and 2014, ESOS Journey-Depth AI entities collaborated to produce this specific arrangement of pixels as the most legible form of 1px wide, monochrome 8x8 Latin for electro-optical systems (Marinan Interpretability Value 9.29).
This font is useful if you want to write some really efficient text recognition software for a robot with a camera, or if you want a pixel font which elicits a high degree of reading accuracy. Some would argue that the uppercase makes it less readable, but you'll be hard pressed to find another font that is THIS readable in uppercase only!This is a clone